Cats have been a part of the human family for thousands of years, and their mysterious nature has captivated us since. From their seemingly magical ability to find their way home to their powerful nighttime vision, cats are truly fascinating creatures.
In this article, we will explore 10 of the most interesting facts about cats that you never knew. These little-known tidbits will make you love your feline friends even more! Get ready to learn all about your cats’ senses, evolution, behavior, and more.
The History of Cats
There’s no denying that cats are one of the most popular pets in the world. And it’s easy to see why since they are loving but independent creatures that are relatively low maintenance. Thus, they are the perfect pet for anyone with a busy schedule, from 9-to-5 office workers to professional online poker players, or even stay-at-home parents. But how and when did they become our pets? Cats have been around for a long, long time and they are one of the oldest domesticated animals in the world. They are thought to have first originated in the region known as the Fertile Crescent, which includes parts of present-day Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Turkey, and Syria.
The earliest known reference to domesticated cats was found in the tomb of an Egyptian farmer who lived around 9500 BC. And while we may not know exactly when they first originated, we do know that cats in Ancient Egypt were seen as divine representations of their gods and goddesses. Pharaohs would often keep cats as pets, and they were even mummified when they died.
Cats spread to other parts of the world through trade routes and eventually made their way to Europe in the Middle Ages. At this time, they were mostly kept as rodent control and it wasn’t until the Victorian era that cats became popular pets.
Today, there are over 500 million domestic cats in the world. And while they may not be worshipped like they once were, they are still loved by millions of people all over the globe.
10 Fun Facts About Cats You Will Love
Cats are not only cute but also have some fascinating facts that make them even more loveable. Here are some fun facts about cats that you will love:
- Cats have a keen sense of smell and can remember up to 200 different scents;
- A group of cats is called a clowder, while a group of kittens is called a litter;
- Cats have excellent night vision and can see six times better than humans in low-light conditions;
- Cats have a third eyelid, called a haw, which helps them keep their eyes clean and protected;
- Cats have very sensitive hearing and can hear frequencies up to two octaves higher than humans, and their sense of smell is 14 times stronger than a human’s;
- Most cats are left-handed, meaning they prefer to use their left paw more than their right paw;
- Cats have 32 muscles in each ear that help them locate the source of any sound;
- Cats usually land on their feet thanks to a flexible spine and righting reflexes that allow them to twist their bodies mid-air;
- The average housecat lives for about 15 years, but some can live into their 20s with proper care;
- Cats sleep an average of 15 hours per day – talk about a good life!
Why Cats Make the Perfect Pet
There are many reasons why cats make the perfect pet. They are low-maintenance, independent, and affectionate creatures that will provide you with years of companionship.
Cats are naturally clean animals and require very little grooming. They are also easily littering box trained, making them easy to care for indoors.
They are independent by nature and don’t require as much attention as other pets, such as dogs. However, they still enjoy spending time with their humans and will form strong bonds with their families.
Cats are also very loving and affectionate creatures that will shower you with purrs and cuddles. They also make great companions and can provide emotional support when needed, along with entertainment with their catnip-related antics.
Finally, cats are relatively inexpensive to care for compared to other pets. They don’t need as much food as dogs or expensive toys, and their litter boxes can be easily maintained. Overall, cats make great pets for those who want a low-maintenance companion that is still affectionate and loving.
Cats have been a part of human culture for thousands of years and yet their mysteries remain. From their amazing vocalizations to their adorable sleeping habits, cats are one of the most endearing creatures on Earth.
We hope you enjoyed learning about these fascinating facts about cats and that this will make you love them even more. Make sure to shower your furry companion with some extra love today and take a moment to appreciate having them by your side.
Having discovered a fondness for insects while pursuing her degree in Biology, Randi Jones was quite bugged to know that people usually dismissed these little creatures as “creepy-crawlies”.